Please let me know what you think! This blog will evolve and your comments will help. Just click on the "comment" icon after each post. Besides, I'm sure the artists being profiled would love to hear some reactions!

Monday, November 23, 2009

Some Thoughts about Buying Handmade

So, I make handmade purses. Leather and fabric. On the weekends I sell my purses at an outdoor artists market in downtown Asheville, NC. If you haven’t been to Asheville, it’s worth the trip. More on that another day. Anyway, most of my customers are women. Sometimes they are by themselves, some in groups, some with their husbands/ boyfriends/ significant others. They come to my booth, oohing and ahhing over the purses. Then their “pursenality” comes out. “I like a zipper.” “I like compartments.” “I like a big bag. “I like the smallest bag I can get.” Long strap, short strap, square, slouchy, flap, no flap…. I could go on and on. I watch every purse that goes by. The endless variety amazes me. Some are great, some appalling. To each his own. I love how, these days, almost anything goes.


The beautiful thing about handmade items is that, for the most part, you will see really original stuff.  Some beautiful, some odd, some, well,…. I don’t get it. But there is definitely something for everyone. Lately, more and more of my customers are telling me that they prefer to buy handmade items whenever possible. Many have found that handmade purses, for example, are better made and more durable. So next time you are in the market for a new purse, go to your favorite search engine and type in “Handmade purses” or go to Etsy.com or 1000Markets.com. There are so many places on-line to look. And most larger towns have galleries of local handcrafted items. I assure you, you will be delighted with the variety and quality available.


Artist’s markets are a great place to find wonderful things by local artists. The one I sell at has only twelve tables but people come back again and again because of the fine quality. Here you will find incredible jewelry, pottery, clothing, purses (of course), soaps, glassware, drawings, paintings, photography, candles, just to name a few.











Here is a picture of my booth at the Grove Arcade Portico Market, taken a few years ago. This was early morning before other artists and the hordes of shoppers arrived.  Things have changed a bit since then. I should probably take more pictures.  My products have evolved as well as my display, but you get the idea.  I also have my purses in several galleries and on several on-line venues (see side-bar).  I really like this downtown market because I get to meet so many people and get their reactions to my work.




Quote of the Day:

              “Start by doing what’s necessary,
           then what’s possible and suddenly
             you are doing the impossible.”
                                                               -St. Francis of Assisi

No comments: